03 March 2011

So This Is Autumn.

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that it's Autumn already? It was barely warm this summer, especially in Melbourne, where most days were overcast. While I do enjoy Autumn - one of my favourite seasons - without a proper Summer, the prospect of a colder season looming isn't as exciting as it usually is.


Now, I don't like to be negative, in any published form, and I'm sure I will enjoy Autumn, as usual, but when you spend an entire season that is supposed to be warm, waiting for it to warm up, it is a bit disappointing. Ah well, at least I have this recipe to look forward to:


Jamie Oliver's Mulled Cider


2 litres good cider, such as Scrumpy
6 cloves
3 or 4 star anise
¼ nutmeg, finely grated into the pan
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod, halved
Juice of 1 orange 

Juice of 2 clementines (these are similar to mandarines, so I'm sure these are a good substitute)
Juice and seeds from 1 pomegranate
4 or 5 tablespoons of caster sugar, to taste



These are Jamie's ingredients, and from memory of his Christmas special, you just simmer them for a while.
I will definitely be trying this recipe in the coming months, so I will let you know how I go. First I need to wait for my new stove to arrive. I have been cooking for two weeks with only a slow cooker and an electric frying pan, and I am more than over it!! Bring on a brand new stove!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment