22 August 2010

Food, Inc

I recently watched Food, Inc in my Food As Medicine class at uni and it really made an impact on me. Even though I know that a lot of the processes that occur in the USA do not occur here in Australia, I do believe the food industry has had a significant impact on the way that we eat and the food that we eat, as well destroying our environment, and I would like to see it change.


Our idea of 'healthy food' or a 'healthy meal' is so far removed from what 'healthy' actually is because of the way that the food industry is at the moment, and you only have to think about the illnesses that occur in your family or your circle of friends to realise that. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity - can all be attributed to diet.


I hope that this movie does what it was set out to do: to educate the masses and empower them with the knowledge and confidence to make more ethical food choices and change the market demand enough to change the way the food industry conducts itself. 


So please take a look at the film with an open mind, and start to make more ethical food choices. Buy organic. Shop at a farmers market. Buy free range. Buy sustainable seafood (here). Plant a little veggie patch in your backyard. If more people do this, the more affordable these food choices will become. And you just know you will feel better, not only because you are eating nutritious food, but because you are doing something to make the world a better place.




Thanks for reading my rant.
x

1 comment:

  1. I definitely plan on starting a veggie patch in my garden, its something I've always wanted to do. And I try to buy organics when I can! Thanks for sharing this video x

    ReplyDelete