07 April 2010

I think my posts are beginning to become more of a weekly thing of late. But I have been a bit busy lately, with work and uni and life and all that. 


I got to visit my Mum this weekend, which was great. It was nice to be back in the country and feel like there is actually some physical space between people for a while (I live in a pretty small apartment with my boyfriend and our housemate, so it can get a little cramped sometimes). I also had my first uni exam yesterday, and I think I passed. I hope lol. I studied my little butt off so I had better pass!


On Monday, I made my best bolognese yet, for which I think I might give you the recipe. It was a combination of my usual recipe, a recipe from Delicious magazine and a recipe I saw on Rachael Ray's show (Mum has pay TV - yay!). I am always looking to improve my bolognese, even though it is already pretty freakin delicious. But anyway, give this baby a crack!


BOLOGNESE
30g unsalted butter
2 Tbl olive oil
200g Pancetta, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks cellery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely grated
500g Premium beef mince
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 jar bolognese sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 Tbl chopped basil leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste


In a heavy based saucepan, melt the butter and oil, over medium heat. 
Add the pancetta and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it starts to crisp.
Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft.
Add the beef mince and cook, stirring, until browned.
Pour in the red wine and stir through. Simmer until most of it has evaporated.
Pour in the jar of sauce, the canned tomatoes and the beef stock and stir.
Add the 2 bay leaves and basil, and taste the sauce before you add the salt and pepper. (The pancetta makes this sauce very salty already)
Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Before serving, remove the bay leaves.
Serve with whatever pasta you like, I used Spinach Fettucini, and cheese.
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM...


Oh, and in case you were wondering, I did get my hair dyed, but you can barely see it, so I'm not going to post a picture for you, lol. Sorry.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment